Friday, July 9, 2010

Desultory Musings

-Target's request system (time off, availability changes, etc.) is now online, which, welcome to the 21st century guys. The problem with this is that it is only compatible with Internet Explorer. This would be great if A. I had used IE anywhere but school in the last five years and B. the main computer I use wasn't a Mac and thus not compatible. I have gone to my parents' computer to try but The schedule tool doesn't work on there so yay. Using the computer in the break room at work isn't terrible but it's not very private. Meh, just another minor complaint about Target. I need to stop doing that.

-Part of my summer plans is to visit all four corners of the state (maybe five. Does Point Roberts count). I have already conquered the northwest portion with a wonderful journey to Cape Flattery with Anna. The other destinations are slightly less desirable to go to. Ilwaco not so much as, hey, it's on the coast. But the other two are Metaline Fallsand Anatone. As you can tell by the maps, not exactly hot beds of civilization. My original plan was to take these trips on my own, doing each in a day, partially because I want to get some miles on my car and because I want to see more of the state but also because I have a lot of audiobooks and podcasts that would be nice to catch up on. But looking at the optimistic Google Maps distance predictions, it takes 7 hours one way to the Eastern Washington locations and that's a lot. So rather than try to do 14 hours of driving on my own in one day, I thought, why not get someone to go with me and maybe we can camp or something over there? Let me know if you are interested in going on one or all of these trips. Otherwise I am content to go on my own.

-The other, more exciting part of summer I'm excited for is a 10 day trip to various Eastern time zone cities in August. The plan is to go to Cleveland, Cooperstown, Boston, New York and Washington in those 10 days which is quite ambitious but the first two cities are somewhat limited in what you can do there. (Yeah, I just likened Cleveland to Cooperstown. I'm pretty sure the only thing we're doing there is going to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Baseball Hall of Fame, respectively so the comparison is apt. Sorry Clevelanders who may be reading this.) I'm really excited to see a part of the country I haven't seen. Seeing the Rock and Baseball Hall of Fames will be so fascinating. I can't imagine all the awesome that is contained in the BHOF. We're also going to see games in Fenway and Yankee Stadium, the latter involving the Mariners. (It will be nice to see the Mariners lose someplace new.) Along with that will be just experiencing New York. I'm really excited for DC because, on top of all the Memorials and governments buildings, there's so many awesome museums there. I'm pretty sure I'm going to spend an entire day in the Smithsonian. This is a really small picture of all of these cities but I am really excited anyhow. I can go back later in life and experience them more fully but it will be nice to see all the touristy things there and to experience the different way of life that exists there. (First time experiencing East Coast humidity will be grrrrreat.)

-I am a rather picky eater and have been thinking lately of making a list of foods I do not like and why just for reference and because it might be fascinating for others. Most of the problem is texture (onions, tomatoes, cooked spinach). There's not a lot of foods I don't like because of taste. As a result of this distaste (distexture?) for a lot of different kinds of things, I have to keep a strict policy of only asking to remove three things from something at a restaurant. Mmmmm this pasta looks good. Oh... onions, mushrooms, peppers and capers. Never mind. It's a gag reflex thing I guess. So if I'm ever at your house and am picking something you have made me, it is not a criticism of your cooking, I promise.

-Summer has led me to once again revisit the idea that I am a nightowl. I can't remember the last time I went to sleep before two. This generally works because I don't really have any non-work obligations but I'm not a giant fan of it. But I think this might be the way I actually get the required amount of sleep. I get so tired that I can't do anything but sleep. I am more wide awake at 2 AM sometimes than I am at 2 PM a lot of the time. This is why I kind of like having a roommate because it forces me to go to sleep earlier. Since most people don't stay up as late as me, I tend to just go to bed when they go to bed. I don't want to be that asshole roommate who is up really late reading Cracked for no apparent reading or loudly typing (this is for you Bryan). I actually do like 8 and 9 AM but I can't get to sleep in time to see them without being unbearably tired most of the time. Curse you internet and XBox.

2 comments:

  1. First of all, I so want to go camping so if you decide to do that I am in. I have the 24th and 25th off. Second, I am really jealous of your upcoming trip! I have been to Washington DC once and to New York City twice. I love them both. I didn't get to spend much time in DC so I really want to go back. New York is just awesome. I could totally live there, plus there is still tons I haven't done there. As for the Rock and Roll and Baseball halls of fame, that is pretty sweet. I have never been but would love to see them someday. Thirdly, how much do you love the fact that I always comment on your blog posts? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am working at least the 24th so no can do there. I'm glad New York and Washington have good reviews. And it's awesome that you always comment on my posts!

    ReplyDelete