Sunday, June 20, 2010

Random Thoughts

These will probably happen every so often. Nothing big to write about so just these ~bullet points.

-Toy Story 3 is awesome. Go see it now if you haven't. Go see it again if you have. The universe Pixar has created with that franchise - and managed to maintain through three movies - is just fantastic. I love the fact that Mr. Potato Head is a wisecracking semi-coward with Mrs. Costanza as a wife. And that Ham is somehow an expert on a ton of different things that no one else knows about. And that Rex is a giant wuss but still tries his darnedest to be tough. And that Bullseye doesn't talk and is so loyal to Woody. Woody and Buzz are icons clearly but it's the supporting characters that really make the movies for me. I love that Ken is ambiguously gay and that Buttercup the stuffed unicorn is voiced by this guy. It's hard to say if it's the best movie Pixar has made but it's definitely up there. If you don't come close to getting teary eyed at the end, then I envy your abilities to hold back tears and question your status as human or robot.

-My phone's auto correct, while helpful, is sometimes bothersome. If you type something it doesn't recognize, it will add it to its dictionary. This is problematic at times though, since if it senses the wrong word and I go back and hit space again, that word is saved. So stuff like gejl is in there now.

Also words like Wentworth and Friendster are somehow pre-programmed into it. Which comes in handy if I'm ever talking about Prison Break or dead social networking sites. But other than that and its frustratingly small battery life, I love my phone.

-The Mariners have won 4 straight! And somehow lost 1/2 a game in the process. I don't exactly have hope again since the offense has still been pretty pisspoor in those games and Rowland-Smith wasn't that fantastic today but it's nice that they can actually win games every once in a while. The sad thing is that it won't be enough to keep Cliff Lee around. When he leaves I will be a sad panda. He is the best pitcher I have ever seen. I still feel like the trade was worth it even for these 2 months of pure awesome we've gotten out of Lee. If there was a way we could keep him forever it would tickle me pink but I don't see it happening without a stupidly expensive. contract. The good news is that the M's do have some prospects doing well in the minors. Dustin Ackley and Miguel Pineda could be ready next year and Nick Franklin is beasting the Midwest League as a 19 year old. Which makes me think "Oh God, people younger than me are starting to play professionally." Such a weird feeling.

-Song I'm currently loving: Australia by the Shins

-Podcast you should be listening to: Adam Carolla Show. It's pretty racy at times but it's pretty damn funny. Each are like 90 minutes long. It's fun just to listen to him talk about the most random shit that makes him angry.

-Random vent-ish: Kinda frustrating to be getting so few hours at work compared to others my age. I'm getting less than 20 each week and this week I'm only working 2 days. It's nice to have free time but it would also be nice to have money to spend during that free time. It would be one thing if I was told what I could do to improve more than I have (besides being more friendly, which I think I have been for awhile). I haven't even had my yearly review I was supposed to have in May. Which is also tied to whatever raise I may get. I just wish I knew what I could be doing better. If I'm too slow at something or not doing something right, tell me so I can do it better or suggest another way to do it. I'm a smart guy and have a decent amount of common sense.

-School-wise, I'm shocked that I got an A in philosophy but I did work pretty hard to show my professor drafts of my essays and to try to fine tune them into good finished products. Almost more surprising is the A- in geology but it's not like I failed it. I just find it odd that I got an A in my sophomore level classes but an A- in my intro to rocks class. I didn't try as hard though because it wasn't very challenging but probably too much so. This is why I couldn't do core classes in high school. Things being too easy makes me not do them as well as things that challenge me. Anyway, I don't want this to sound like bragging. It's not, I'm just happy about the grades I got and that I'm doing well in college thus far. And terrified for my 20-credit fall quarter.

3 comments:

  1. John,
    we're so cool!
    GO BLOGGERS!
    and you kicked ass spring quarter! fall quarter will be fine don't worry, i KNOW you'll kick ass with those 20 credits too don't worry!
    i can't wait for our little road trip later this week!!!!! =DD

    ReplyDelete
  2. -Toy Story WAS awesome! A must see!
    -My phone totally does that too. How annoying.
    -Don't forget to get tickets for the July 8th game!
    -Good song!
    -I'll have to check it out. I have listened to him a few times but only for a few minutes at a time.
    -Who said you weren't friendly at work?!?! I hope you know I am kidding when I tell you to smile all the time. If you want I can ask Anthony when he is going to give you your review and then when he does your review you should tell him you want more hours. I would LOVE having you work with me more! :)
    -As for school, that is awesome! You seem like a smart kid and I am sure you will do really well fall quarter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's come up in the past. I don't know if it's an issue so much anymore, as I haven't had a proper review in over 2 years but it's something I know isn't my strong suit naturally. I'm not rude to anyone obviously, I'm just not naturally bubbly and cheery with strangers as you are. If you could help me out that'd be great!

    ReplyDelete