Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Okay, this one is actually about a disc.



I'll preface this by saying that I'm not good at describing why I like music or any of the technical parts of it. But I know what I like.

Band of Skulls is a band of three Brits who do indeed have skulls (presumably. I assume they couldn't function otherwise). Baby Darling Doll Face Honeyis their debut album and it was released in March of 2009. If I had to describe them I would use the cliche comparison to the White Stripes. They have two lead singers, Russell Marsden and Emma Richardson. So perhaps that's where the White Stripes comparisons come from, though Emma sings a lot more than Meg does and appears to be more talented. (I said it. As much as I like them, she isn't that technically gifted but she gets the job done as far as the band goes.) I really haven't heard them get much play, nor do I really know anyone else who likes them but I don't really listen to the radio so maybe that's why. I also regularly confuse them with Band of Horses because, well, looks at the similarities in those names. I actually discovered it through my dad. He said that the album was really good and I was sort of hesitant to listen to it at first but eventually it grew on me. The song that really got me hooked is "Blood".



This song stood out to me because the whole song just flows really well. Emma's voice and the guitar are in sync and the guitar just has a rolling quality the whole time. It's one of those songs that has a simple solo that's just a variation on the chorus but often times those are the best solos.

Most of the songs are fast paced but there are a couple slower ones. "Fires" and "Cold Dull Heart" are such examples. They work surprisingly well given the general tempo of the album. If I had to pick a worst song, it would be "Death by Diamonds and Pearls". It's not necessarily bad, I just find it a little repetitive. This is also the rare example of a band where I like the woman's voice more than the dude's voice and this song is just Russell singing. The best songs are when their voices complement each other.

If I had one song for you to listen to, it would be "I Know What I Am".



This is the best example of the singers' voices playing off of each other. It's one of their singles, as evidenced by the video. The constant bass line is always there and that's one of the things I look for in a song. (Note: it might actually be guitar. Like I said, I'm not so good with the music description thing.)

Anyway, I would recommend you picking this up. If you like the two embedded songs, you'll likely also enjoy the rest of the album. It's nothing revolutionary but it's just a solid, consistent rock album. Though if you don't like the White Stripes or bands like them, then avoid it.

No comments:

Post a Comment