Sunday, June 13, 2010

My Single of the Decade

Well this is 6 months late. Anyway, the last decade was a coming of age decade for me quite literally. I can't say more so than the previous one because I literally became an age during that decade but still, I went from pre-pubescent grade school student to post-pubescent college student. And as such, my music tastes changed drastic. I don't listen to whatever is on Kiss 106.1 anymore. At some point I stopped buying Backstreet Boys albums (hey, I was 10. Don't act like you didn't want it that way) and started buying Black Keys albums. I went from getting all my music from the radio to only listening to the radio if necessary. Anyway, this song comes from the middle of the decade and I didn't really realize the effect until much later. It's weird that this song comes from my least favorite album by them by far but the song just stands out. I remember listening to The End and hearing them introduce this new song and liking it immediately. Then, when MTV2 used to play music, it was on the rock countdown videos for quite some time. Anyway, here it is, without further ado:



I suppose it helps that it had a pretty good video (if a little inappropriate). Me loves some David Cross. Anyway, I never get tired of this song. Ever. I could listen to it all day, every day. I don't know what it means. It probably doesn't mean anything. But everything about this song is amazing. The vocals from Julian Casablancas (who I admit I have a slight mancrush on). The bass line. The guitar. The steady drum beat. This song epitomizes everything I like about music.

Now a lot of people don't like the Strokes, mainly because they feel Julian Casablancas is a pretentious prick. This is pretty much true! However, that doesn't matter to me. I don't really care if he's a dick if he writes music like this. It's a shame they haven't come out with an album for over 5 years but they are apparently working on one now.

The Strokes became one of my favorite bands, if not my favorite, a couple of years ago. I heard Juicebox again randomly after not hearing it for awhile and then I thought "hey, this band is good". Then I checked out their best and debut album, Is This It? That album is one of my favorites of all time. Every song on there is good. Which makes it hard to pick one as a favorite. It was the Strpkes at their best. It's nothing too groundbreaking but every song is a solid alternative song.

So yeah, there's my song of the decade. I don't know what the deep lyrical meaning is, nor can I describe why I really like the musicality of the song that much. I can only say that I will listen to this song whenever I can and not get tired of it. After all, isn't that the quality we most want in our music?

No comments:

Post a Comment