Thursday, March 24, 2011

I want so badly to believe that there is truth and love is real

Love is perhaps the most subjective of all feelings. Everyone has a different opinion on what love is or even whether it exists at all. I don't know why I've thought about it lately. Maybe it's just an overdose on Ben Gibbard.

Anyways, my take on love. I don't think that anyone has one true love or one soul mate. There are just too many people out there for there to be one person for you. That isn't to say that you can't find someone you love but there's not a person you are destined to be with, as nice as that would be. When I think about it, what if that person lives in a remote Laotian village or something? What are the chances of you actually meeting that person? Love is just something that happens. It's not something that's meant to happen though.

I've heard it said that you don't stop loving someone or you can't love more than one person in your life for the love to be real. I don't agree. I have only really loved one person in the romantic sense and I certainly don't love them anymore and they don't love me. But I know that I did love them. And I, slightly less strongly, believe she did love me. And she probably loves someone else now or is on her way to loving someone else. And I know that at some point I will love someone else. This doesn't change or cheapen what we felt for each other months ago. Circumstances just changed. And though she thankfully isn't part of my life, she was an important chapter in my life and I won't forget that chapter.

There are obviously differently degrees of love. There's familial love, friendly love and romantic love. And within those different degrees. I'm honestly not sure when something changes from like to love to in love. It's just something you know when you feel it I suppose. I don't know that I have ever personally been "in love" but there is a difference.

Keeping with the vaguely related paragraphs theme, I don't think love is merely a thing made up by Hollywood or the greeting card industry or whatever. I'm not that cynical. I don't think you can only love one person in your life. You can only love one person at once, obviously, but certainly not ever. Things change. People change. The feelings you had don't. And while at times finding someone to love is insanely frustrating and seems impossible, it ultimately is possible. But it's not something you can force. And that's what makes it so difficult and frustrating because as much as you would like to make things happen, it takes two to love.

I don't know that I've said anything too profound here or even necessarily that original. But I am at my core a romantic in this sense and I think about this more often than you might think. And listening to Give Up so much lately likely hasn't helped. if you have to take away one thing, let it be that love is an amazing thing that can't really be quantified. While it's not fate in the sense that we all have a soul mate, sometimes it's just a thing that develops.

No comments:

Post a Comment